"I can’t resist bacon, and was very happy to taste the new “Bacon by Nature” Unsmoked Back Bacon, cured with plant-based ingredients and free of artificial nitrates. This bacon, from British high welfare outdoor bred pigs, is deliciously succulent and tasty and a perfect addition to these cheese & onion swirls. Make the dough the night before, leave to prove overnight in the fridge (to improve the flavour), and shape and bake in the morning. It won’t last long!"
Paid partnership with @TheCornerPlot
Serves 8 people Prep 20 minutes Cook 25 minutes
475 g water (tepid)
3 g dried yeast
700 g bread flour
14 g sea salt
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
200 g cheese (I used red Leicester and cheddar), finely chopped
1 pack Denhay ‘Bacon by nature’ unsmoked back bacon, sliced into strips
8 stems of thyme, leaves picked
1. Mix the yeast and water and leave to stand for a few minutes.
2. Place the flour and salt into the bowl of a food mixer, and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeasted water. Mix together then knead (with a dough hook) on a medium speed for 5 mins. Remove from the bowl, shape into a ball, and place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and place in the fridge overnight to prove.
3. The next morning, place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll out to a large rectangle, about 0.5 cm thick.
4. Layer the cheese, onion and bacon on top, and sprinkle over the thyme leaves. Leave an uncovered 1 cm border around the edge. Gently start rolling up the dough, from the widest side, and continue until it rolls into a sausage. Gently roll back and forth so the dough lengthens a little.
5. Line a 30 cm circular baking tin with baking parchment.
6. Cut the dough into 5 cm rounds and place in a baking tin, leaving a 1 cm gap between each. Cover with a damp clean tea towel and leave to prove for an hour. The dough is ready to bake when it springs back, leaving a small indentation, when gently pressed.
7. Preheat the oven to 220 C/200 fan/gas 7, and bake for 20 to 25 min, until golden and the cheese is bubbling.
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before tearing it apart!
& inspiration from the